Vale of Rheidol
2-6-2 tank locomotive
The Vale of Rheidol Light Railway is one of the best known British narrow gauge railways and is still in operation today. Situated in Wales, this spectacular railway runs from Aberystwyth on the coast of Cardigan Bay, to Devils Bridge, some twelve miles inland.
It opened in 1902, initially for the conveyance of lead ore, from the mines up in the hills to the standard gauge railway interchange and harbour in Aberystwyth.
Over the years, it has been operated by the Cambrian Railway, the Great Western Railway, British Railways and private companies and it's locomotives have appeared in many different liveries.
The Roundhouse model is of the post Swindon version of the three locomotives that are currently in operation on the railway and features a wealth of detail to augment the legendary Roundhouse performance and reliability.
Standard features include a fully sprung chassis, water top up system, fully integrated radio control system and we even supply a full set of etched brass name and number plates (7 - Owain Glyndwr, 8 - Llywelyn and 9 - Prince of Wales) plus a set of fire irons/shovels.
Click on a thumbnail to see some of the detail up
Right hand side of loco.
Technical specifications for the basic Vale of Rheidol 2-6-2.
- 2-6-2 outside framed chassis with two double acting slide valve cylinders operated by a simplified Walschaerts type valve gear.
- Fully sprung chassis.
- Internal gas firing using the ROUNDHOUSE 'FG' gas system.
- Hinge up cab roof for easy access to cab fittings.
- Controls fitted as standard are :- steam regulator, safety valve, pressure gauge,
displacement lubricator, gas regulator and reversing gear.
- Water gauge and boiler top up system fitted as standard.
- 32mm and 45mm gauge.
- Dimensions are :- length 380mm, width 135mm, height 145mm, , weight 5.3 Kg (with optional extras fitted).
- Full radio control for both regulator and reversing valve gear, using four channel radio equipment.
- Insulated wheels.
- Available in any standard ROUNDHOUSE colour.
Some of the alternative liveries,
click on thumbnail for bigger picture.
Please note that the COLOURS
shown in pictures are for guidance only and due to the many variations in
producing digitised images and displaying them on monitors of almost limitless
quality and capability, they cannot be relied on as being accurate.
The following items can be factory fitted to further enhance your operating pleasure.
- Radio controlled drain cocks.
This feature adds an extra valve between the cylinders so that you can divert the cylinder exhaust either up the chimney as normal, or out from below the cylinders. When set for the latter, the exhaust exits from a small pipe, pointing forward, below each cylinder, not only simulating proper cylinder drain cocks, but also sending condensate down to the track side. This function is controlled from the hand held transmitter.
- Radio controlled steam whistle.
A real working steam whistle that you can operate from the hand held transmitter at any time when the loco has steam pressure.
that this model is not available with manual control.
Three great shots taken by Stuart Buxton on his garden
railway - click on thumbnail for larger picture.
Return to top of page
If you arrived at this page directly from a search engine or a link from another web site, please CLICK HERE to go to the full ROUNDHOUSE web site.
© 2004 Roundhouse Eng. Co. Ltd.