Karen is being discontinued at the end of 2017. Orders will continue to be taken up to December 2017.
Karen was built by Peckett and Sons of Bristol in 1942 (works number 2024). One of three locomotives built for the Selukwe Peak Light Railway in Rhodesia, Karen was bought by a consortium of Welsh Highland Members in 1976. After restoration, she entered service in 1983 and gave a decade of reliable service until the boiler became due for a major overhaul.
Karen is currently out of service but can be seen as a static museum exhibit at the WHHR.
Technical specifications for 'Karen'.
- 0-4-2 outside framed chassis with two double acting slide valve cylinders operated by Roundhouse inside valve gear.
- Exhaust enhancer.
- Internal gas firing using the ROUNDHOUSE 'FG' gas system.
- Water top-up system and water gauge.
- Controls fitted as standard are :- steam regulator, safety valve, pressure gauge, displacement lubricator, gas regulator and reversing gear.
- Dimensions (loading gauge) are :- length 352mm (over buffers), width 113mm, height 159mm, weight 3.661kg (with r/c).
- Full radio control is available for both regulator and reversing valve gear using 2.4GHz R/C equipment.
- A gauge conversion kit is available separately to allow changing between 32mm and 45mm gauge. Please state gauge required when ordering loco.
- Supplied with etched brass name and works plates.
- Fitted as standard with insulated wheels.
- Available in any standard ROUNDHOUSE colour. Pictured here in Deep Brunswick Green.
Return to top of page
If you arrived at this page directly from a search engine or a link from another web site, please CLICK HERE to go to the full ROUNDHOUSE web site.
© 2013 Roundhouse Eng. Co. Ltd